Plumbing and Sewage Inspection

NEW (June 2017):

 The Plumbing Regulations have been updated and are now in effect. Please note the significant changes below:

  •  Adoption of The National Plumbing Code of Canada, 2015, with Saskatchewan amendments.
  • Increase to the plumbing permit fees:
    • base plumbing permit fees from $40 to $100;
    • installation or alteration (if not more than two fixtures or devices are to be erected or installed) from      $20 to $50; and
    • permanent connection of an existing plumbing system to a communal waterworks from $20 to $50.
  • Provisions that enable the local authority to require the owner of an existing plumbing system to correct faulty or defective portions of the plumbing system.

Please note: The Private Sewage Works Amendment Regulations have not come into effect.

PHI role:

Public health inspectors inspect and permit plumbing systems to ensure proper construction and reduce or eliminate health hazards such as sewage gas, cross connections and sewage back-ups. The legislation used by public health inspectors in Saskatchewan to regulate plumbing are The Plumbing Regulations, 2017 and the 2015 National Plumbing Code of Canada. Public health inspectors also participate in home owner education, plan consultation and complaint inspections.

Permit Requirements

Plumbing systems that are constructed in the three northern health regions all require a plumbing permit. Without a permit one cannot connect a plumbing system to a communal or municipal water works. Most permits are issued during the inspection by the Public Health Inspector (with the exception of urban plumbing permits in La Ronge and Creighton municipalities).

To be eligible to take out a plumbing permit the following apply:

  1. If you are connecting to municipal/communal waterworks or sewage works the work must be completed by a journeyman plumber.
  2. If you are connecting to private sewage works the work does not have to be completed by a journeyman plumber; however, the work still has to comply with the 2015 National Plumbing Code of Canada.

Permits are not required when changing fixtures but are required for any new construction or when changing any vent or drain piping.

You must give your local public health inspector at least 72 hours notice to arrange an inspection. If you do not meet this time requirement there is no guarantee the public health inspector will be able to inspect when you request.

An inspection is required before any of the plumbing has been covered and a permit will only be completed if all the work is left visible for inspection (and if there are no code violations).

For larger plumbing jobs, such as those done on commercial buildings or multiunit dwellings, a building plan and plumbing plan must be submitted in advance and before the work has started.  This gives the Public Health Inspector a chance to review the plumbing plan before the inspection is conducted. This will increase inspection efficiency and allow the contracting timeline to stay on track.

Local Authority Requirements

Since September 16, 2014, the three northern health authorities have required the following of all plumbing installations; contractors and plumbers operating in the north were notified by mail:


  1. Air admittance valves are not permitted in new or renovated installations.
  2. Backflow prevention is required on all residential and commercial installations.
  3. Backwater valves are required on building drains on all below street level installations. Closed valve designs may be permitted if vented between the backwater valve and the outside wall (nearest the building sewer).
  4. Drainage systems located in outside walls are not permitted.
  5. Permits must be obtained PRIOR to installations. Permits will not be issued for installations that have been completed without proper inspection.


Need a plumbing permit?

Applications for plumbing inspections & permits (NOTE: these are NOT permits):




You can take out an Urban Plumbing Permit at the town office of the following municipalities.

  • La Ronge
  • Air Ronge
  • Creighton

All other permits may be obtained through the district public health inspector.


An updated version of The Plumbing Regulations, 2017 will be available soon at: